Today, I have a short post for Wine Wednesday. I decided to put together 10 quick tips if you have never visited wine country before! I have several other more specific tips, but I thought this would be good for anyone who wants to know a little more before visiting the area for the first time.
- Don’t try to do more than 4-5 wineries in 1 day.
- Plan a nice dinner one night. There are so many good restaurants in Wine Country that you should definitely plan to do a fancy dinner.
- If you are looking to save money, stay in American Canyon. It is only a 30-40 minute drive to the wineries in the morning and you can save a TON of money.
- Drink a TON of water.
- Eat a good and heavy breakfast before your tours OR make sure to get a good lunch after 1-2 wineries. You might not get to/want to eat a lot when wine tasting since the wineries are only open 10 AM – 4/5 PM.
- We usually don’t do lunch or we try to do something realllllllly quick like the V. Sattui Deli!
- If the winery is going to charge you for the tastings, buy a bottle of wine. More often than not, your wine tasting fees are waived when you buy a bottle. I feel that this is a fair trade. Also, you can probably bring your bottle of wine to dinner 🙂
- Ask wineries for recommendations!
- If you are at a good winery, I think they should give you recommendations on other wineries to visit. I have found so many wineries through this method. There are probably 15+ places I would have never gone to if it weren’t for this.
- Take a ton of pictures! Wine country is beautiful.
- Wear comfortable shoes – you will be standing a lot! Most wine tastings have you standing while you taste. I like this so I am not sitting all day – think of it this way – you are burning a few extra calories while wine tasting!
- Note: There are some wineries where you will sit and taste on certain parts of their tour!
- Take some time to stop in downtown St. Helena (Napa side) or downtown Healdsburg (Sonoma Side).
- These are the CUTEST little towns.
What are some of your wine country tips? Have you ever been? Are there any other questions you have for me?