Happy Happy Friday! Today, I am bringing you another yummy recipe. This is a recipe that we make at least twice a month – we are obsessed.
Shrimp Creole is a southern/Cajun tradition and is a great recipe for the fall and winter time. This recipe was given to me from my mother and grandmother. What I love most about this recipe is that it is microwaveable! No pots, no pans, easy as pie! In other words, there is no reason for not trying this one out.
Another thing I love about this recipe is that we have so many leftovers after we make this. This recipe saves really well for a week or so in the fridge and freezes well for even longer. If you like to meal prep for the week ahead, make this on a Saturday or Sunday night for dinner. You will have at least 4-5 more portions to eat throughout the week.
- 2 lbs frozen shrimp (peeled, deveined, tail off)
- 1.5 cups chopped celery
- 0.5 cup green onion
- 1.5 cups chopped white onion
- 1 chopped green pepper
- (Optional) – 1 chopped red pepper
- (Optional) – 1 chopped jalapeno
- 1 can Rotel
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 14 fl oz Chicken Broth
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2-3 Tbsp Garlic (I use a ton of garlic!)
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- White Rice
*Will put a summary block of directions at the end*
- Chop all of your veggies and put them in a medium/large microwave-safe bowl.
- Make your Roux: Combine 2/3 flour and 2/3 vegetable oil into a microwave-safe Pyrex. Mix together really well. There should be no clumps of flour.
- Microwave your Roux for 4-6 minutes on High until it becomes light/medium brown color.
- This is the hardest part and you need to watch it so it doesn’t burn. It really depends on the strength of your microwave and the Pyrex you are using. Start with 4 minutes, stir it and see how it is. You will have to start over if you burn it.
- Once the Roux is cooked to perfection, pour it over your bowl of veggies. Mix together well until all veggies are evenly coated.
- Put your Veggie/Roux mixture back in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- Stir all of your ingredients.
- Add the Rotel, Tomato Sauce, Chicken Stock, Garlic and Salt. Mix together well.
- Put this mixture back in the microwave for 6 minutes.
- Stir all of your ingredients.
- If you haven’t done so already, start making your white rice. You can either use a pot on the stove or use a rice cooker. We use Uncle Ben’s brand and do it on the stove.
- Once your creole is done cooking in the microwave, add your frozen shrimp. Mix together well.
- Put this back in the microwave until the shrimp are cooked through. For me, this usually takes 10-15 minutes.
- I take the bowl out of the microwave every 4 minutes to stir it.
- I would recommend making yourself a nice cocktail while you wait for this to microwave for 10-15 minutes 🙂
- Once your shrimp are completely cooked into the mixture, you are good to go.
- Serve over white rice in a bowl and eat with a spoon! Also, add your favorite hot sauce if you like it extra spicy and flavorful – for me that means a lot of Tabasco! Enjoy.
I hope you all will give this recipe a try soon! Trust me, it is delicious. You can also pair it with a great piece of garlic bread or something.
Here is a condensed version of the directions for easier viewing.